A. The 20 Most Weight-Loss-Friendly Foods on The Planet
We offer products that we believe are useful to our readers. If you buy through the links on this page, we can earn a small commission. Here is our process.
Not all calories are created equal. Different foods go through different metabolic pathways in your body. They can have very different effects on hunger levels, hormones and the number of calories burned. Here are the 20 most weight-loss foods in the world, supported by science.
1. Whole eggs
- Previously, fear of being high in cholesterol, whole eggs have returned.
- Although high egg intake can increase “bad” LDL cholesterol levels in some people, they are one of the best foods to lose weight. They are rich in protein and fat, and very satisfying.
- A study of 30 overweight women found that eating eggs for breakfast instead of bagels increased the feeling of satiety (satiety) and made participants eat less for the next 36 hours.
- Another eight-week study found that eggs for breakfast increase weight loss on a calorie-restricted diet compared to bagels.
- Eggs are also incredibly nutritious and can help you get all the nutrients you need for a reduced calorie diet. Interestingly, almost all of the nutrients are in the yolks.
Eggs are very satisfying and nutritious. Compared to refined carbohydrates like bagels, eggs can suppress your appetite later in the day and even promote weight loss.
2. Leafy vegetables
- Leafy vegetables include kale, spinach, cabbage, chard and a few others.
- They have several properties that make them perfect for a weight loss diet, such as: B. low in calories and carbohydrates and loaded with fiber.
- Eating leafy vegetables is a great way to add volume to your meals without increasing calories. Numerous studies show that people eat less calories in general through low energy density meals and diets.
- Leafy vegetables are also incredibly nutritious and rich in vitamins, antioxidants and minerals, including calcium, which some studies have shown to help burn fat.
Leafy vegetables are an excellent addition to your diet to lose weight. Not only are they low in calories, but also high in fiber, so you’ll be satisfied.
- Fatty fish like salmon are incredibly healthy and very satisfying, and will keep you full for many hours on relatively few calories.
- Salmon contains high-quality proteins, healthy fats and several important nutrients.
- Fish – and seafood in general – can also provide significant amounts of iodine.
- This nutrient is necessary for the proper functioning of the thyroid. This is important for the proper functioning of your metabolism.
- Studies show that a significant number of people are not meeting their iodine needs.
- Salmon is also loaded with omega-3 fatty acids, which have been shown to reduce inflammation, which play important roles in obesity and metabolic disorders.
- Mackerel, trout, sardines, herring and other fatty fish are also excellent.
Salmon is rich in proteins and omega-3 fatty acids, making it a good choice for a healthy weight loss diet.
4. Cruciferous vegetables
- Cruciferous vegetables include broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and Brussels sprouts.
- Like other vegetables, they are high in fiber and tend to be incredibly satisfying.
- In addition, these vegetables usually contain adequate amounts of protein.
- They do not contain as much protein as animal foods or vegetables, but they are still rich when compared to most vegetables.
- A combination of protein, fiber and low energy density makes cruciferous vegetables the perfect food for your meals when you need to lose weight.
- They are also very nutritious and contain substances that fight cancer.
Cruciferous vegetables are low in calories but rich in fiber and nutrients. Adding it to the diet is not only an excellent strategy for losing weight, but it can also improve your overall health.
5. Lean meat and chicken breasts
- The flesh was unfairly demonized.
- It has been blamed for several health problems, although there is no good evidence to support these negative claims.
- Although processed meat is not healthy, studies show that unprocessed red meat does not increase the risk of heart disease or diabetes.
- According to two large review studies, red meat has a very weak correlation with cancer in men and no correlation in women.
- The truth is that meat is a food to lose weight because it is rich in protein.
- Protein is by far the most satisfying nutrient. If you follow a protein-rich diet, you can burn 80 to 100 more calories a day.
- Studies have shown that increasing protein intake to 25% to% of daily calories can decrease cravings by 60%, halve the desire for late night snacks and cause weight loss of almost 0.45 kg per week.
- If you eat a low carb diet, you can be happy to eat fatty meat. However, if you are on a medium to high carb diet, choosing lean meats may be more appropriate.
Eating unprocessed lean meat is an excellent way to increase your protein intake. Replacing some carbohydrates or fats in your diet with protein can make it easier for you to lose excess fat.
6. Boiled potatoes
- White potatoes seem to have fallen out of favor for some reason.
- However, they have several properties that make them a perfect food – both for weight loss and optimal health.
- They contain an incredibly diverse range of nutrients – a little bit of almost everything you need.
- There have even been reports of people living on potatoes for long periods of time.
- They are particularly rich in potassium, a nutrient that most people don’t get enough of and that plays an important role in controlling blood pressure.
- On a scale called the Satiety Index, which measures how well various foods are filled, cooked white potatoes scored the highest of all tested foods.
- This means that when you eat white boiled potatoes, you will feel naturally satisfied and eat less of other foods.
- If you allow the potatoes to cool for a while after cooking, they will form large amounts of resistant starch, a fibrous substance that has demonstrated several health benefits, including weight loss.
- Sweet potatoes, beets and other root vegetables are also excellent.
Boiled potatoes are one of the most satisfying foods. They are especially good for reducing appetite and possibly suppressing food intake later in the day.
- Tuna is another low-calorie, high-protein food.
- It is lean fish, which means it is low in fat.
- Tuna is popular with bodybuilders and fitness models who are in the process of cutting, as it is a great way to increase your protein intake while keeping your total calories and fat low.
- If you are trying to emphasize protein intake, choose canned tuna in water, not oil.
Tuna is an excellent lean source of high quality protein. Replacing other macronutrients, such as carbohydrates or fat, with protein is an effective strategy for losing weight with a low calorie diet.
8. Beans and vegetables
- Some beans and other legumes can help with weight loss.
- This includes lentils, black beans, red beans and a few others.
- These foods are generally rich in protein and fiber, two nutrients that have been shown to lead to satiety.
- They also tend to contain some resistant starch.
- The main problem is that many people have a hard time tolerating vegetables. So it is important to prepare them properly.
Beans and vegetables are good additions to your diet to lose weight. They are rich in protein and fiber and contribute to bloating and lower calorie intake.
- As mentioned above, low energy density meals and diets tend to make people eat fewer calories.
- Most low energy density foods are rich in water, such as vegetables and fruits.
- Or you can just add water to your meal and make soup.
- Some studies have shown that eating the exact same food turns into a soup instead of a solid meal, makes people feel more satiated and eat significantly less calories.
- Just be careful not to add too much fat, like cream or coconut milk, to your soup, as this can increase the calorie content significantly.
Soups can be an effective part of a weight loss diet. Their high water content makes them very filling. However, avoid creamy or oily soups.
10. Cottage cheese
- Dairy products are generally high in protein.
- One of the best is cottage cheese, which – calorie by calorie – is mostly protein with very few carbohydrates and little fat.
- Eating cottage cheese is a great way to increase your protein intake. It is also very satisfying, making you feel satisfied with a relatively low number of calories.
- Dairy products are also rich in calcium, which can help burn fat.
- Other low-fat, high-protein dairy products include Greek yogurt and skyr.
Eating lean dairy products, like cottage cheese, is one of the best ways to get more protein without significantly increasing your caloric intake.
- Avocado is a unique fruit.
- Although most fruits are rich in carbohydrates, avocados are loaded with healthy fats.
- They are especially rich in monounsaturated oleic acid, the same type of fat as olive oil.
- Although most avocados are fatty, they are also rich in water and fiber, which makes them less dense in energy than you might think.
- In addition, they are a perfect complement to vegetable salads, as studies show that their fat content can increase the absorption of carotenoid antioxidants from vegetables by 2.6 to 15 times.
- They also contain many important nutrients, including fiber and potassium.
Avocados are a great example of a healthy source of fat to include in your diet when trying to lose weight. Just make sure that your intake remains moderate.
12. Apple cider vinegar
- Apple cider vinegar is incredibly popular in naturopathy.
- It is often used in condiments, like dressings or vinaigrettes, and some people even dilute it with water and drink it.
- Several human studies suggest that apple cider vinegar may be useful for weight loss.
- Eating vinegar and a high-carbohydrate meal at the same time can increase the feeling of fullness and cause people to eat 200 to 275 fewer calories for the rest of the day.
- A 12-week study in obese people also showed that 15 or 30 ml of vinegar a day caused a weight loss of 2.6 to 3.7 pounds, or 1.2 to 1.7 kg.
- Vinegar also reduces blood sugar spikes after meals, which can have several beneficial long-term health effects.
Adding apple cider vinegar to the vegetable salad can reduce your appetite and potentially lead to further weight loss.
- Despite their high fat content, nuts are not as fat as you expect.
- They are an excellent snack that contains balanced amounts of protein, fiber and healthy fats.
- Studies have shown that eating nuts can improve metabolic health and even promote weight loss.
- Population studies have also shown that people who eat nuts tend to be healthier and thinner than those who don’t.
- Just be careful not to overdo it, as they are still very high in calories. If you tend to eat large amounts of nuts, it may be best to avoid them.
Walnuts can be a healthy addition to an effective weight loss diet when eaten in moderation.
14. whole grains
- Although cereal grains have gained a bad reputation in recent years, some types are definitely healthy.
- This includes some whole grains that are loaded with fiber and contain a decent amount of protein.
- Notable examples are oats, brown rice and quinoa.
- Oats are loaded with beta-glucans, a soluble fiber that increases the feeling of satiety and improves metabolic health.
- Both brown and white rice can contain significant amounts of resistant starch, especially if cooked and cooled.
- Keep in mind that refined grains are not a healthy choice and sometimes foods with “whole grains” on the label are highly processed junk foods that are harmful and fatty.
- If you are on a very low carbohydrate diet, you should avoid grains as they are high in carbohydrates.
- But there is nothing wrong with eating whole grains, if you can tolerate them.
You should avoid refined grains when trying to lose weight. Choose whole grains instead – they contain a lot more fiber and other nutrients.
- Eating pepper can be helpful in a weight loss diet.
- They contain capsaicin, a substance that has been shown in some studies to reduce appetite and increase fat burning.
- This substance is even sold as a supplement and is a common ingredient in many commercial weight loss supplements.
- One study showed that consuming 1 gram of red pepper decreases appetite and increases fat burning in people who don’t eat paprika regularly.
- However, there was no effect in people accustomed to eating spicy foods, which suggests that some level of tolerance may increase.
Eating spicy foods that contain pepper can temporarily decrease your appetite and even increase fat burning. However, tolerance seems to increase in those who eat pepper regularly.
- Most health experts agree that fruits are healthy.
- Numerous population studies have shown that people who eat more fruits (and vegetables) tend to be healthier than those who do not.
- Of course, correlation is not synonymous with causality, so these studies prove nothing. However, fruits have properties that make them lose weight.
- Although they contain natural sugars, they have low energy density and take a while to be chewed. In addition, its fiber content prevents sugar from entering the bloodstream too quickly.
- The only people who want to avoid or minimize fruit are those who follow a low-carb, ketogenic or intolerant diet.
- For most fruits, it can be an effective and delicious addition to a weight loss diet.
Although fruits contain some sugar, you can easily include them in a weight loss diet. They are rich in fiber, antioxidants and various nutrients that help to slow the rise in blood sugar after meals.
- A fruit worth mentioning is the grapefruit. The effects on weight control were examined directly.
- In a 12-week study of 91 overweight people, eating half a fresh grapefruit before meals resulted in a weight loss of 1.6 kg.
- The grapefruit group also showed decreased insulin resistance, a metabolic disorder implicated in several chronic diseases.
- So if you eat half a grapefruit about half an hour before some of your daily meals, you may feel more satiated and eat fewer calories overall.
Studies show that grapefruit can suppress appetite and reduce caloric intake when eaten before meals. It is worth trying if you want to lose weight.
18. Chia seeds
- Chia seeds are among the most nutritious foods in the world.
- They contain 12 grams of carbohydrates per ounce (28 grams), which is quite high, but 11 of those grams are fiber.
- This makes chia seeds a low-carbohydrate food and one of the best sources of fiber in the world.
- Because of their high fiber content, chia seeds can absorb 11 to 12 times their weight in water, become gelatinous and expand in the stomach.
- Although some studies have shown that chia seeds can reduce appetite, they have found no statistically significant effect on weight loss.
- However, due to its nutritional composition, it makes sense that chia seeds could be a useful part of your weight loss diet.
Chia seeds are very rich in fiber, which will satiate you and reduce your appetite. Therefore, they can be useful in a diet to lose weight.
19. Coconut oil
- Not all fats are created equal.
- Coconut oil is rich in medium-length fatty acids, known as medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs).
- These fatty acids have been shown to increase the feeling of satiety better than other fats and increase the number of calories burned.
- In addition, two studies – one in women and one in men – showed that coconut oil reduced the amount of belly fat.
- Obviously, coconut oil still contains calories, so adding it beyond what you’re already eating is a bad idea.
- The goal is not to add coconut oil to your diet, but to replace some of the other fats in your kitchen with coconut oil.
- However, studies show that coconut oil is less satisfying than MCT oil – a supplement that contains many more medium-chain triglycerides.
- Extra virgin olive oil is worth mentioning here, as it is probably one of the healthiest fats in the world.
Coconut oil contains medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) that can increase the feeling of fullness after meals. MCT oil supplements are even more effective.
20. Whole yogurt
- Yogurt is another excellent dairy product.
- Certain types of yogurt contain probiotic bacteria that can improve the functioning of your intestines.
- A healthy gut can help protect against inflammation and resistance to leptin, which is one of the most important hormonal factors in obesity.
- Be sure to choose yogurt with live and active cultures, as other yogurts have virtually no probiotics.
- Also, consider choosing whole yogurt. Studies show that whole dairy products – but not low-fat products – are associated with a reduced risk of obesity and type 2 diabetes over time.
- Skimmed yogurt is usually loaded with sugar. Therefore, it is best to avoid it.
Probiotic yogurt can improve your digestive health. Consider adding it to your diet to lose weight, but be careful to avoid products that contain added sugar.
21. The final result
It is easy to find healthy foods to include in a weight loss diet. These are mainly whole foods like fish, lean meats, vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds and vegetables. Some processed foods like probiotic yogurt, extra virgin olive oil and oats are also excellent choices.